We are expanding!
Sankoff Criminal Law is not your average law firm. We focus primarily on appellate work and assisting other lawyers on complex legal matters. In addition, we are a knowledge resource business that provides advice and analysis on the criminal law and we also get involved in law reform.
Through Criminal Defence Essentials, we also create legal seminars, case alerts and a whole range of other resources for the busy defence lawyer. The successful applicant will conduct legal research, write factums, assist Peter Sankoff on a range of files, and learn how to excel at trial and appellate work (first as second chair, and then with your own files). You will also be able to develop your own trial practice over time, if this is what you wish to do – but you will be under no pressure to “bring in your own clients”. It is an ideal place to become an excellent lawyer.
We believe that our business is not solely about making as much money as possible. Peter Sankoff founded the 100 Interns Project for the purpose of assisting students to obtain value experience at a critical time. He is the country’s leading provider of criminal law materials.
Sankoff Criminal Law believes that a successful practice includes happy employees, a reasonable work-life balance (only on rare occasions is it necessary to work evenings or weekends), and the fulfillment that comes with doing exceptional and meaningful work. You will receive mentorship from one of the country’s leading lawyers and teachers and be part of a vibrant team that likes to do great work and have fun. These are special opportunities for very special candidates.
We are looking for people who are starting out in their career or looking for a change. We are not taking articling students for 2024-2025 (unless the person is completing articles as a law clerk), but we would entertain anyone in their years 1-6 of practice. We are especially welcoming applications from women and transgender candidates, and those from traditionally underrepresented communities in the Edmonton defence bar. We also are very interested in anyone with clerking experience at the Court of Appeal or Supreme Court.
The successful candidate must:
- Live in Edmonton, or be willing to relocate, and be willing to work physically at the office.
- Be motivated to excel;
- Not be allergic to or scared of dogs (we have an office dog!);
- Work well with others;
- Have a dynamic, fun personality.
They must possess the following attributes:
- A law degree from a recognized Canadian university or NCA qualification;
- A passion for the nuances of criminal law, the law of evidence and criminal procedure;
- Experience in criminal litigation (trial or appeal) as an articling student or lawyer, or work as a law clerk at a Court in these areas;
- Exceptional writing skill;
- Strong legal research ability;
- Strong academic credentials.
The following are advantage attributes, but not required:
- Completed a course in Animals and the Law;
- Fluent in French, Spanish or German;
- Enjoy karaoke;
- Knowledge of Alberta Legal Aid practices;
- Skill in accounting/bookkeeping;
- Experience with Canva or Adobe.
What We Provide
1) A collaborative small firm atmosphere
2) Extremely competitive salary, bonus, and potential for profit sharing and partnership;
3) 4 weeks paid vacation per year (2 over the Christmas break/ 2 at your discretion);
4) Frequent team building events (including two karaoke parties per year), including team retreats in exciting locations and four major outings per year (Oilers games, Cirque du Soleil, etc);
5) Room for growth and the ability to develop your own trial/appeal practice;
6) Some of the most exciting cases in the country to work on.
Our application procedure is as follows, please adhere to it.
Send us a letter (or video) to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes the following:
1) Why this ad interests you, and why you are the person we should hire (including how you meet the attributes required for the position)
2) Where your law degree was obtained
3) Where you live, and, if it’s outside Edmonton, why you would be willing to relocate;
4) Your passion for criminal law
5) Which of the “advantage” skills or attributes you possess.
Do not send a CV, transcripts or references. If we are intrigued by your letter or video, we will contact you for more! We will get back to you either way, of course.
There is no deadline for applications. The ad will be removed when the position(s) are filled